Jump down to:
The Ministry of the Environment requires that schools with 350 students or more:
- conduct a waste audit
- complete and post a yearly Waste Reduction Work Plan
- have source separation programs for specified wastes and ensure the wastes are recycled
These requirements are often managed at the school board level to ensure consistency and efficiency among schools in each board – but each school has a role to play in how it manages its own waste.
Minimizing waste means using less stuff, reusing what you can and recycling as much as possible.
Reducing or recycling waste has many benefits:
- It cuts back on greenhouse gas emissions by diverting waste from landfills and reducing the energy required to extract, process and transport resources.
- It makes your school more environmentally friendly.
- It’s an immediate and measurable way to improve your school’s environmental performance.
- It helps you comply with Ontario’s 3Rs Regulations.
- It can help improve school morale and image.
Stay current! Sign up for email updates.