The Water Opportunities Act, will deliver these outcomes:
- make Ontario the North American leader in the development and sale of water conservation and treatment technologies
- encourage sustainable infrastructure and conservation planning using made-in-Ontario technologies to solve water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure challenges
- encourage all Ontarians to use water more wisely.
Key to delivering these outcomes is the creation of the Water Technology Acceleration Partnership (WaterTAP) - to support research and development as well as the commercialization of new technologies and innovations in Ontario's water sector.
The act also:
- creates partnerships to develop water innovation among universities, colleges, industry and entrepreneurs and several ministries in Ontario's government.
- strengthens water efficiency and sustainable water planning for municipalities
- helps Ontarians to use water more efficiently