Do your part to manage household hazardous waste.
Use the BUDS system:
- BUY only what you need
- USE it up
- DIVERT what you don’t need
- SAFELY DISPOSE of container and any residue.
If you can’t use the entire product, donate what’s left to a friend, neighbour or charity.
But the best way to handle household hazardous waste is to not generate any.
How to make BUDS part of your routine
BUY only what you need
- If you won’t use it up in the short term, don’t buy it
- Before buying any hazardous waste chemical, see if there is an environmentally friendly alternative.
- Try to purchase cleaners that are less harmful to the environment or make your own.
USE it up
DIVERT what you don’t need
- Before discarding unused or unwanted products that contain hazardous materials such as paint, consider donating it to friends, neighbours or charities.
SAFELY DISPOSE of container and any residue
- You can drop household hazardous wastes at local city recycling depots, a household hazardous waste drop zone, or at collection events.